Friday, May 20, 2011

A Loss So Big


If I were to picture the "perfect" sympathy card, this would not be it. I might go for something much simpler, less fussy, more somber, understated. Today, though, while I'm mourning a devastating loss in my extended family, I'm also celebrating a love story. A love story cut far, far too short, but one that many never find in a lifetime. And so I chose a more romantic assortment of florals and lace. I used the time making this card to reflect and remember, to sorrow and grieve, to lift up and love. This card, and the words inside, are all I can give my dear cousin right now; you can be sure I poured myself into them.

The papers are from the Restoration line by Crate Paper. The sentiment, from JustRite's Sympathy Nested Sentiments & Verse set, has been stamped onto one of the Crate Paper patterns. The pattern is actually playing cards. I stamped on the Ace of Hearts playing card, then die-cut with a Spellbinders Labels Fourteen Nestabilities die so that all you see left is the red heart outline from the center of the playing card. The ivory fleur de lis accent at the bottom of the sentiment panel is from the Fleur de Lis Doily Accents Shapeabilities. I topped that with a fabric mini rose that I trimmed from some Small Roses Organza Ribbon by Maya Road. The decorative borders along the top and bottom of the blue and green horizontal background panel were die-cut with one of the Spellbinders Fancy Tags Two dies.




The white paper rose that tops the crinkled seam binding is a Kaisercraft Paper Bloom.



Many have asked how I mail bulky cards such as this one. I have a bunch of Crystal Clear Boxes from clearbags.com that are leftovers from selling greeting card sets at craft fairs many years ago. The boxes are a nice, heavy, durable material with no cloudiness whatsoever. Usually the 1/4"-thick boxes are perfect. For really bulky cards, I'll use a 1/2"-thick box. Clearbags.com has pretty much any size you might need. For mailing, I usually leave the box plain, slide the whole thing into a padded mailer, and count on a rate somewhere in the $1-$1.75-ish range. If I'm hand-delivering, I'll use these same boxes and just dress them up with some ribbon and a tag or other embellishment. Hope that helps!

Thanks for stopping by today,




Stamps: Sympathy Nested Sentiments & Verse (JustRite)
Paper: Papertrey Rustic Cream card stock, Crate Paper Restoration collection
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black, Ranger Antique Linen and Vintage Photo Distress Inks
Accessories: Spellbinders Labels Fourteen Nestabilities, Fleur de Lis Doily Accents Shapeabilities, and Fancy Tags Two, Maya Road Mini Roses Organza ribbon, May Arts crochet trim, crinkled seam binding, Kaisercraft Paper Blooms, sanding block, foam adhesive, hot glue, sewing machine
Size: 5 1/2" x 4 1/4"

28 comments:

Trudi said...

What a beautiful card Amy! I'm sorry to hear of your loss, losing someone is very hard but losing someone young just seems so much more devastating. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

June Houck said...

Amy, I am sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you, your cousin, and the families. This card seems absolutely perfect! May your thoughts be filled with happy memories. Sending you a big cyber hug!

Angella D. Crockett said...

Amy, I am so sorry for your loss!!! Lots of love, hugs, and prayers coming your way!!!

Marisa said...

So sorry for your loss, Amy (((Hugs))) I"m sure this card will touch the recipient deeply.

Jami said...

Amy I am so sorry for your loss. Your card is gorgeous and I can see the love that you poured into it. TFS.

Chriss Blagrave said...

I am truly sorry for the loss in your family Amy...
I can see that you truly customized this card for your cousin, touching little details.
hugs,
Chriss

Sherri said...

Your love just shines out of this card. It's a beautiful card & I'm sure that getting it will go a long way in helping your cousin heal. My prayers are with you all.

Sheree said...

So sorry to hear about your loss Amy... Sympathy cards are always the hardest to make. I think this card shows how much you care because of all the love and time put into it! Even though someones passing hurts so badly we must celebrate the life they have had....You have done this beautifully!

Lisa Lynn said...

So sorry for your loss. Your card is beautiful, and will be a great remembrance for your family.

Kathy Jones said...

Oh, I am so, so, sorry for your loss Amy. Times like these are so hard and you never know what to say. Your card is just gorgeous and I'm sure will give comfort and be treasured. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Marimer said...

Mis más sentidas condolencias, Amy, quédate con todos los buenos y alegres recuerdos de tu prima, seguro que es lo que ella hubiera querido que hicieras.
Besitos.

jan metcalf said...

Beautiful card and sentiment, and a beautiful story of how you create for a loss.

Luanne said...

So precious Amy. It's hard to loose a loved one, and I know this beautiful card will give your cousin some comfort. What a wonderful sentiment from Just Rite. It's perfect. TFS!

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

This card is a demonstration of your love. It is beautiful and heartfelt. I too am sorry your loss, and echo the sentiment of used on this card.

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Amy, I am so sorry for your loss. I can see your love for your loved one in this beautiful card that you made for their family. I'm sure they will cherish it.

Dotty Jo said...

Thinking of you hun, Jo x

Sandy Ang said...

it's a wonderfully gorgeous card and am sure it will be appreciated

Kerri said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss, Amy. Your card is absolutely gorgeous and that sentiment is just so perfect.

Connie B. said...

I think sympathy cards help the receiver and the sender. Yours really expresses your love for your cousin. Such a beautiful expression. Lovely flowers.

carole (TruCarMa) said...

Gorgeous card, Amy, and what a beautiful tribute for someone you obviously love dearly. That may very well be the best sympathy sentiment I've ever seen. (((Amy)))

Leslie Miller said...

This is beautiful, and I'm sorry for the need. Under the circumstances you couldn't have made a more perfect card. The time and care you spent on it is an honor to the lost loved one.

Nina Macaulay said...

What a simply beautiful card,
with very fitting words.
I too am sorry for your loss, life is very precious.
I just had a wonderful journey through your blog, and how inspiring it was, you are a very tallented lady and I look forward to following you in the future :O)

Good Day
Nina x

Conniecrafter said...

it is just Beautiful, I am sure your cousin will feel the love that went into this, sorry for your loss.

Barb Ghig said...

What a PERFECTLY BEAUTIFUL card you have created! I am so sorry for your loss...I'm sure this lovely creation will mean a lot to the person receiving it!

bethann said...

stunning card. i'm so sorry for your cousin's loss. grieving is so hard.

Kay said...

Beautiful card, love the ribbons and roses.

Peachy Wessels said...

A beautiful card with a very sweet sentiment. It is always so difficult to lose someone that you care for - my heart goes out to you and your loved ones, who will appreciate the thought that you put into this card for them! Take care.

Charlene Merrick (LilLuvsStampin) said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Amy. Your heartfelt sympathy card has to be one of the most gorgeous ones ever.